Saturday, February 4, 2017

The Mirror

An Irish poet laments the fading youth and blames the mirror in this witty and humorous piece.

Written in 18th century...
Could well be describing us in our 70s.

The Mirror

(Edmund Burke 1729-1797,
Irish Philosopher)

I look in the mirror
And what do I see
A strange looking person
That cannot be me.

For, I am much younger
And not nearly so fat
As that face in the mirror
I am looking at.

Oh, where are the mirrors
That I used to know
Like the ones which were
Made thirty years ago

Now all things have changed
And I'm sure you'll agree
Mirrors are not as good
As they used to be.

So never be concerned,
If wrinkles/ extra flab appear
For one thing I've learned
Which is very clear,

Should your complexion
Be less than perfection,
It is really the mirror
That needs correction.





No comments:

Post a Comment